The Lay Magistrates' Training Committee is a subcommittee of the Judicial Studies Board. It comprises of a District Judge (MC), Lay Magistrate representatives from each County Court Division, and is headed by the chair of the Lay Magistrates' Association.
The remit of the Committee
The remit of the committee is:-
- To plan and approve an annual programme of training for Lay Magistrates.
- To evaluate all training for Lay Magistrates and recommend improvements where required
- To occasionally attend external training events and provide written reports.
- To monitor induction training for newly appointed Lay Magistrates as and when the need arises.
- To liaise with and represent the needs of local divisions.
Lay Magistrates’ Training Committee members
- Delia Devlin (Chair)
- Liz Houston (Antrim)
- Keith Giles (Ards)
- Vacant (Armagh & South Down)
- Elsbeth Rea (Belfast)
- Elaine Crozier (Belfast)
- Damien McCorry (Craigavon)
- Anne McGarvey (Fermanagh & Tyrone)
- Brian Doyle (Londonderry)
- Nicola Carruthers (Presiding LM)
- District Judge (Magistrates' Court) Brady
- Chairman of the Judicial Studies Board (Ex-Officio Member)
- Tutor Judge of the Judicial Studies Board (Ex-Officio Member)
- Alistair Beare, Secretary
- Cheryl Dunlop, Assistant Secretary