Inquest into the death of Patrick McElhone on 7 August 1974
The inquest touching upon the death of Patrick McElhone was heard by the Coroner, The Honourable Mrs Justice Keegan, on 30 November to 4 December 2020 and 7 January 2021. The Coroner delivered her findings on 21 January 2021.
Mr McElhone, who was 24 years old, died on 7 August 1974 near his home in Limehill, Pomeroy, Co. Tyrone after sustaining a fatal gunshot wound in an incident involving a military patrol.
This inquest, the second into Mr McElhone's death, was directed by the Attorney General for Northern Ireland following an application by Mr McElhone's family.
The inquest into Mr McElhone’s death was the first legacy inquest of the Lord Chief Justice’s plan to be heard.
- McElhone Inquest - Summary of Findings - 21 January 2021 (134 KB)
- McElhone Inquest - Final 21 January 2021 (PDF 310 KB)
- Press Release - Patrick McElhone Inquest 18 Jan 21
- McElhone Inquest - Opening Address by Counsel for the Coroner - 30 November 2020
- McElhone Inquest - Running Order - 30 November 2020
- McElhone Inquest - Video-Link Protocol - 30 Nov 2020
- Press Release - Patrick McElhone Inquest 19 Nov 20